16/05/2015

AFRO FAUX LOC TIPS



Hiya!!!!!!... I've been away for a bit choked with school work, hair work and just chilling in general but I'm back... Remember like two months ago I had faux extensions done, well I've taken them off now and I decided to share my experience rocking it, details on how to achieve them and how to make the most of it as a protective style...
Extensions: for all the ladies I've done it for I've used soft n silky afro kinky twist  (don't worry if you're in Lagos and worried about where to find them, I'm coming home with a couple of them so send me a message to get yours added to my order). They have a range of colours like your regular xpression does so the xpression colour wheel is pretty much the same and will work with selecting a colour. You could also achieve the style with yarn or owu (as Nigerians call it). Yarn is wool if i'm not mistaken, the kind used to knit. There's also a vast range of colours with the yarn.  


The Braids: personally, from my experience as a hairdresser/ stylist and client, I would advise first carrying your braids for about a week or two before returning to loc them. This just because the hair is actually technically two hairstyles in one, so it possibly could be double the pain and time. This' is just for the people that can't take pain, for those who are not interested in coming back to the salon and consider themselves STRONG... brace yourself!!!


Protective style: Still on the braids, depending on the thickness of your hair and size of your head, as well as the size and length u want the locs to be, let your stylist section medium to large chunks of your own hair into the braids. I guarantee you will thank me. This is majorly because the faux locs are pretty much two hairstyles in one so there's a lot of hair being attached to your head, which could weigh your head/ hair down and snatch your edges... You will also want to clean either by; shampooing/ conditioning, using spirit etc your scalp to prevent your hair from actually locing, if you'll have the extensions on longer than a month/2 and especially if you're a natural sister (4c)... (I personally am not on board for keeping extensions in longer than a month, tried it and my hair did loc and the root, but to each his own) The oils produced by your scalp, or sprayed into your hair for shine and natural shedding of your hair could gather at the roots where the hair is braided on and could loc it at that point, making detangling a HASSLE and cause extra breakage to your hair during take down, which defeats the purpose of protective styling




In general, MODERATION and CONFIDENCE is key, as with all things... So if you rock yourself and hair like you're  THE MOST BEAUTIFUL girl in the world and follow these few tips... you will definitely be the BELLE of the ball/ everyday life...

Enjoy your newly loc-ed hair... Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment